Thursday, August 16, 2012

(Hearts on fire) Ava top

This little pretty is my new Ava top.


This time around I decided to make the top version with the cute little cap sleeves.

I made a few minor changes, I increased the FBA, and use bias binding for hem to give it a bit of a flounce, the biggest change I made to this version was to put a zip in the center back above the peplum, and for the upper back section I folded each side over twice and stitched the sides down (I forget the technical term for it), I made a little loop and added a button to the other side for easy access to get my head through.

It came together quite quickly, although again I had trouble with the sweetheart V, it took a few tries to get it right. In this photo, the sweethearts neckline it looks like it has folds, and looks rumply which isn't the case IRL.

Train sewing, a great way to pass the time.
The cap sleeves are super cute and as you can see from the photos, the upper bust section is dotted Swiss as well as the cap sleeves,I bought it from the Clegs remnant sale, one metre for $4, which is a bargain. The on the edge of the sleeves the dotted balls hang down slightly which makes for an interesting feature. The main fabric is satin back crepe I believe, purchased from Alannah Hill outlet.


I love this top and the style, but I have really struggled to find the appropriate bottom to go with the top, which my hold me back from wearing this more often, and from making about 10 more. If you have any suggestions, I greatly welcome them.




I'll post more photos when I get the chance as the last two was taken in my work's bathroom. I washed my hands, promise. Ewww. :)

I have plans to make the short dress version with liberty lawn and ecru lace but still trying to find the lace......then I think I'm done with this pattern, maybe I'll try one the new Victory patterns.


7 comments:

  1. Love it! I actually really like that version with the blue pants/jeans you are wearing, the colour looks great against the black/white of the top. I've been thinking about making another version of this too - the peplum top seems to be everywhere in the shops at the moment! (Oh and does the Alannah Hill outlet still sell fabric? They took it off the website and I was hoping to go there again next time I visit Melbourne, I love the buttons there!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Suzy! You should make another at least!
    Alannah Hill is still selling fabrics and notions, not as much as they used to be after a flooding incident there, but there'll still plenty stock there.
    If you ever want something I do go there semi regularly...so I can help you out if you like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! I don't think I have any suggestions for what to wear it with, I don't tend to wear tops that length. I'd be more inclined to lengthen it and turn it into a dress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, I am doing that, I'm making the dress length out of liberty lawn. It will be great for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so cute! I love that heart print

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cynthia, the fabric waited patiently until I could make up my mind what to make out of it, as there wasn't a lot to begin with.

      Delete
  6. I LOVE this top! So cute. And it looks great with the blue pants :-)
    Thank you for the comments on my Tessuti Awards entry...yes its the Laura Ashley pattern. It doesn't look like much on the envelope but it turns out really nice :-)

    ReplyDelete